Start Dates: 21st January & 22nd January
Duration: 2 Days
Title Basic Throwing
Host Jon French
Duration 2 days
Month JANUARY 2019
Date Monday 21 - Tuesday 22
Time (approx.) 9.30-16.30
An outstandingly popular two-day basic level course covering the basics of throwing using Shimpo Whisper potter’s wheels. On the first day you will learn to wedge, knead, centre and throw. Jon will show you the basic techniques needed for different thrown forms such as cylinders, vases, bowls and platters. You will learn how to apply pattern directly to the thrown surface and how different hand tools can be used effectively for this purpose. On the second day you will learn to 'turn' and refine your leatherhard pots using various hand tools.
After 29 years of working for Wedgwood, Jon French is now running his own business from the historic surroundings of Middleport Pottery. He has demonstrated the skills and gift of a master craftsman to department stores such as Harrods, London and department stores all over Japan including Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and Isetan over the last 20 years. He has worked and demonstrated across Europe and also the Middle East, Far East, China, Taiwan, Australia, the Caribbean and on the Queen Elizabeth II cruise ship.
Items to bring: Towel, apron, your own named tools and wheelbats if you have them, notepad, pen, means of getting your work home (e.g. cardboard crate)
Included: Tool kit worth over £55, course materials, lunch, refreshments, preferential discounts against all of our products.
- Dietary requirements must be notified at time of booking.
- Please book early to avoid disappointment. This is a very popular course and due to the intensive nature of the tuition, places are restricted to a maximum of 10.
- Please read full event information on our Eventbrite page before you book a place.
- Full information about our courses including booking terms can be found on our website.
- For directions to front entrance please use ST4 6JW (enter no. 447 if prompted by your device). 6ft10” height restriction at front entrance. Please contact us to make special access arrangements if your vehicle is over this height.